How to Track Legislation
Need help tracking legislation on the net?
- Click this link to bring up “Bill Informaton”: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html
- Scroll down to windows which say:
- Limit to
To Find a Specific Bill
Session: If searching the current legislative session, bypass the Session window.
House: Select Senate or Assemblymember
- Scroll down to windows marked:
- Bill Number
- Author(s) and/or Keywords
- Type in Bill number (you don’t need the author’s name)
- Click on “Search”This brings you to Bill Documents.You will be shown boxes for:
- “Status” (where the bill is)
- “History” (where the bill has been)
- To read the bill as introduced or as amended click the HTML line. If there has been a committee analysis of the bill or votes on the bill those will be available as well.
To get back to the Bill Document page, use your “Back” indicator on your computer screen.
- To subscribe to the Bill, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Subscribe.” You will be asked to enter your email address – then click “OK.” Your subscription is complete.
- To “Search Again,” will take you back to the original Bill Information page to do another search.
Each time a subscribed bill moves to committee or is amended, you will be notified by email and given the ability to go to the site to see what has occurred.
Instead of inserting a Bill number in the search box, go to the Authors/Keyword box and type in your keywords, e.g., Older Adults, or Mental Health etc. This will bring up a listing of current bills which deal with that issue.